Handicapper Frank Cotolo picks horses with overlay potential to help your wagers pack a bigger punch.
The 2017 Delaware, Ohio fair meet runs from Sept. 17—Sept. 21, highlighted by America’s Pace, The Little Brown Jug. I am sharing some personal investment opportunities for many events during the week’s race programs.
These “investment opportunities” are suggested contenders, horses I consider outsiders (though “press time” is well before the wagering takes place and no odds are guaranteed). They are selections I feel may offer value for win, place and show bets, as well as for exotic wagering.
After your personal handicapping is complete, take a look at the daily suggestions; hopefully, they will help your scores be bigger and better.
Thursday, Sept. 21
(3) Tico Time keeps flirting with a win, so he needs to be respected and in this spot he is a threat to the win streak of the morning-line first and second choices. Certainly he will be more worthy a win ticket than the two obvious choices.
(1) Caprice Hill may be worth shorter odds in a shorter field. She also may go off higher than her 5-2 morning line and that would nail the bet because she has so much to gain by winning this and from the rail at this track she has no excuse not to win.
(2) Sharplookin Finale could be nestled in a good spot to save ground here, something that is worth more than he may be valued by the public. In fact, look for a wire-to-wire try, which would result in a great price.
(1) Oberlin has been on our watch list and just missed last time at a fair coming off of Kentucky Sires Stakes action. He is a son of a productive sire early this season, Pet Rock, and gets a shot at a classy price.
(6) Lots To Live For has not been active since late August but returning here is a smart move. If he races his Hoosier or Dayton qualifiers he could leave the other six in the dust.
(3) Fear The Dragon has been our choice for glamour-boy pacing division champ from before he began his soph campaign. Each time he has raced he has been a value bet, with chances to win far greater than his odds. We feel he will be worth it in the first heat but the second is in question, since Downbytheseaside losing the first race may see him scratch in the second. Either way, he is clearly a better horse than Downbytheseaside and a Jug victory would hurl him into the waning season with nothing less than resounding applause.
R4 RJ’s Dragon 5th; R5 Wild Eyed Yankee 3rd; R7 Good Good Guy 4th; R14 Jaye’s A Lady 5th; R15 Idyllic Beach 3rd $2.60; R17 Maewegonow 3rd $2.40
Luck to all of you using any of these as you so choose. We will be back for with a review of our Thursday picks on Friday.