by Ken Weingartner
Photo by Mark Hall
When it comes to providing thrills for his owners, State Treasurer is money.
The 6-year-old State Treasurer, purchased for a mere $6,500 at the 2010 Standardbred Horse Sale, is a multiple-stakes-winner with more than $1 million in earnings for owners Sally and Allan MacDonald and Paul and Sophie MacDonald.
Earlier this year he won an unprecedented third Molson Pace and last season he captured the Allerage Farms Open Pace at Lexington’s Red Mile. He also missed by only a neck in last year’s Breeders Crown Open Pace, finishing third.
Last weekend, State Treasurer won his elimination for Saturday’s $500,000 Ben Franklin Pace for older male pacers from post nine by a neck over Dynamic Youth in 1:50.3 over a sloppy track at The Downs at Mohegan Sun Pocono. He will start the final from post four with David Miller driving for trainer Dr. Ian Moore.
“We refer to him as our once-in-a-lifetime horse,” said Sally MacDonald, who lives on Prince Edward Island. “When we stop and think about all the people we’ve met and the traveling we’ve done, it’s basically all because of him. It’s been just such an enjoyable time with him.”
Luck Be Withyou, who won the first of the two Franklin eliminations last weekend, drew post nine for the final. George Napolitano Jr. will drive for trainer Chris Oakes.
Saturday’s card at Pocono also includes the $500,000 Max C. Hempt Memorial for 3-year-old male pacers, $500,000 Earl Beal Jr. Memorial for 3-year-old male trotters, $300,000 James M. Lynch Memorial for 3-year-old female pacers, and $75,000 Sun Invitational for older trotters.
State Treasurer has won four of seven races this year. The four victories have come in his most recent five outings — despite starting from inside of post seven only once — and include the Molson Pace and Gold Cup Invitational. His setback came in the Battle of Lake Erie, where he was fifth by 1-3/4 lengths from post seven at half-mile Northfield Park.
“We’re very happy with the way he’s been racing of late, that’s for sure,” said Paul MacDonald, who lives in Toronto and is Allan MacDonald’s nephew. “We’ve been drawing poorly it seems quite a bit lately, but that’s horse racing. It’s certainly tough with such a strong group of older pacers when you’re drawing on the outside. I don’t think we’ll continue to get the breaks we’ve been getting in some of these races. You just can’t do that all the time against such a good group of horses.”
State Treasurer is a son of stallion Real Desire out of the mare Ideal Treasure, who is a full sister to stakes-winner Ideal Matters. His third dam is world champion stakes-winner Hit Parade. Allan MacDonald selected State Treasurer as a yearling. It was the first horse ever owned by Sally, Paul and Sophie.
“My husband had been involved (with horses previously) but we decided to put this horse in my name,” Sally MacDonald said. “He thinks I’m his good-luck charm.”
Said Paul, with a laugh, “Some people say I’m probably ruined now with him as the first horse.
“It’s been fantastic. Just to be there and participate against an incredible group of horses has been the highlight. Dr. Moore has said he’s never had a bad race and I think what he means by that is the horse always gives 110 percent. He may get a bad trip, or the draw may be terrible, or the flow doesn’t work out the way that you hope, but the horse is always giving it his best.
“We’ve just had such a great time with this guy. We owe a lot of it to Dr. Moore. He’s been just super with him.”
State Treasurer, who has been trained by Moore throughout his career, has won 25 of 78 career races and earned $1.08 million. He banked a career-best $464,311 last season.
“He’s an awesome horse to be around,” Sally MacDonald said. “He’s got a terrific personality. Everybody that sees him likes him.
“It’s just been such a good-news story with him.”
Following is the Ben Franklin field in post order with listed drivers and trainers:
1. Domethatagain, Tim Tetrick, Rene Allard
2. Foiled Again, Yannick Gingras, Ron Burke
3. Clear Vision, Brett Miller, Ron Burke
4. State Treasurer, David Miller, Ian Moore
5. Dynamic Youth, Andrew McCarthy, Aaron Lambert
6. Mach It So, Tim Tetrick, Jeff Bamond Jr.
7. Captive Audience, Jim Morrill Jr., Doug Berkeley
8. Vegas Vacation, Brian Sears, Casie Coleman
9. Luck Be Withyou, George Napolitano Jr., Chris Oakes
Following is the Hempt Memorial field in post order with listed drivers and trainers:
1. Pierce Hanover, Brett Miller, Ken Sucee
2. Betting Exchange, Jim Morrill Jr., Tom Fanning
3. Lost For Words, David Miller, Brian Brown
4. Artspeak, Scott Zeron, Tony Alagna
5. Wiggle It Jiggleit, Montrell Teague, Clyde Francis
6. In The Arsenal, Brian Sears, Kelvin Harrison
7. Wakizashi Hanover, Tim Tetrick, Joann Looney-King
8. A Bettor Hat, Yannick Gingras, Gilbert Garcia-Herrera
9. National Seelster, Andy Miller, Chris Ryder
Following is the Beal Memorial field in post order with listed drivers and trainers:
1. Pinkman, Yannick Gingras, Jimmy Takter
2. Cruzado Dela Noche, David Miller, Nancy Johansson
3. Centurion ATM, Ake Svanstedt, Ake Svanstedt
4. Uncle Lasse, Brett Miller, Jimmy Takter
5. Crazy Wow, Yannick Gingras, Ron Burke
6. Wicker Hanover, Andrew McCarthy, Noel Daley
7. Shoot The Thrill, Tim Tetrick, Dirk Simpson
8. Boots N Chains, Andy Miller, John Butenschoen
9. Southwind Mozart, John Campbell, Ake Svanstedt
Following is the Lynch Memorial field in post order with listed drivers and trainers:
1. Bettor Be Steppin, Corey Callahan, Joe Holloway
2. Deli Beach, John Campbell, Brett Bittle
3. Stacia Hanover, Scott Zeron, Steve Elliott
4. Sassa Hanover, Yannick Gingras, Ron Burke
5. Divine Caroline, David Miller, Joe Holloway
6. Momas Got A Gun, Brett Miller, Virgil Morgan Jr.
7. Single Me, Brian Sears, Ross Croghan
8. Wicked Little Minx, Brett Miller, Nancy Johansson
9. The Show Returns, Tim Tetrick, Chris Ryder
Following is the Sun Invitational field in post order with listed drivers and trainers:
1. My Love Bi, George Napolitano Jr., Gilbert Garcia-Herrera
2. Hot Shot Blue Chip, Joe Pavia Jr., Jonas Czernyson
3. Sebastian K, Ake Svanstedt, Ake Svanstedt
4. Daylon Miracle, Simon Allard, Rene Allard
5. JL Cruze, John Campbell, Eric Ell
6. Gural Hanover, Yannick Gingras, Ron Burke
7. Classic Martine, Tim Tetrick, Chris Oakes